The Austin Civic Orchestra is happy to announce that the 2nd Annual Pearl Amster Chamber Music Program which will highlight chamber music and in-residence experiences for deserving young musicians in the Austin area.
How the Program works
- The ACO will sponsor one chamber music group each year (January through March) on a rotating basis.
Brass Quintet (2018)
String Quartet, with piano (2019)
Percussion Ensemble (2020)
Woodwind Quintet (2021)
- Students in these ensembles will perform at concert intermission, pre-concert events, and when appropriate, they will sit in and perform in concert with the full orchestra. In 2018, the ensemble will perform on March 25, 2018 before the Texas Rising Stars in the lobby of Bates Recital Hall and at intermission.
- On most Tuesday evenings from January through March, the ensemble will be coached by professional musicians associated with the ACO. Music will be assigned by the coaches and provided by the Amster Program.
- Directors or teachers will nominate high school students (grades 9-12) who would benefit from participating in this residency with the ACO. These nominations will be read by the ACO Music Director who will then narrow the field to two or three finalists per chair. These finalists will then perform a live audition for a panel of judges who will select one winner for each chair.
- Students who are selected and complete the residency will also receive college scholarship assistance from the Pearl Amster Memorial Endowment Fund.
Who can be nominated?
Qualifications to play in the Amster Chamber Music Program:
- Must be 14 to 18 years old
- Live within a 60 mile radius of the Capitol of Texas
- Play a string, wind, brass or percussion instrument, including piano that fits the ensemble for that year. In 2018, the ensemble is a brass quintet and the instruments are trumpet, French horn, trombone, and tuba.
How can I be nominated or make a nomination?
Click here for the nomination form.
- Music teachers – either band directors or private teachers – can nominate one or more of their students.
- Each teacher can nominate as many students as would benefit from playing and performing with a brass quintet.
- Nominations will be due by November 30. Auditions will be held in January at a location TBD.
We look forward to making chamber music with talented youth from the Austin area!
Questions? E-mail us!