June 9 | 8:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Join the Austin Civic Orchestra for this free concert at the Zilker Hillside Theater. This year we feature the music that made a successful transition from the stage as a musical to a full screen movie. Bring your blanket or low chair with plenty of water to sit on the hillside in the setting sun to enjoy the concert.
As is the tradition, we end with Sousa’s The Stars and Stripes Forever conducted by the raffle winner. This could be you!
The program includes selections from :
- “A Chorus Line” – music by Marvin Hamlisch and arranged by Bob Lowden
- Fiddler on the Roof – music by Jerry Bock and arranged by Felton Rapley
- Into the Woods – music by Stephen Sondheim
- Chicago – music by John Kander and arranged by Ted Ricketts
- Cats – music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and arranged by Bob Lowden
- Ukrainian National Anthem – music by Mykhailo Verbytsky and arranged by Keith Terrett
- The King and I – music by Richard Rodgers and arranged by Bob Lowden
- The Sound of Music Selection for Orchestra – music by Richard Rodgers and arranged by Robert Russell Bennett
- Les Misérables – music by Claude-Michel Schönberg and arranged by Bob Lowden
- The Stars & Stripes Forever March by Sousa
The ACO continues to embrace the classics as well as explore the future. In order for classical music to truly realize its potential as a relevant and important art form it must embrace its future as much as its past. With this in mind, the ACO will maintain its commitment to experiment with programming that presents beloved classics alongside new and/or eclectic works, some of which might be considered off-beat, cross-genre, or even radical.