Music Director Position Opening (Part Time)
The orchestra is searching for a Music Director to work with the ensemble and the Assistant Music Director starting in the 2024 – 2025 season. Finalist candidates will rehearse and conduct the orchestra during individual concert cycles of the 2023 – 2024 season.
About the Orchestra
The Austin Civic Orchestra is a volunteer symphonic orchestra based out of the greater Austin metro area. Founded in 1977, the ACO is committed to providing accessible performances to the Austin community while giving its members a healthy and challenging environment to further their musical skills. Orchestra members range from talented amateurs to professional musicians with performance degrees.
A season generally consists of five indoor concerts, one pair of outdoor concerts, and runs late August through early June. The orchestra performs for educational partnerships such as Carnegie Hall Link Up and AISD Music Memory, and contracts one outside engagement annually, the University of Texas Great Waltz Ball.
- Lead all scheduled rehearsals (held Tuesday evenings), dress rehearsals, and concerts
- Inspire the orchestra to perform to the best of their ability for each concert
- Work with the board on developing season repertoire/theming to drive community interest and organizational goals
- Provide the board and ACO staff with an outline of each upcoming concert season
- Program a diverse range of composers, eras, genres, and instrumentations
- Organize instrument sections, section leaders, substitute lists, and seating as required
- Spearhead the recruitment process and new member auditions
- Represent the orchestra professionally in all settings, including concerts, media, and fundraising interactions
- Develop diversity in membership and audience attendance
- Participate in the onboarding of new members
- Build and maintain relationships with leading Austin-area orchestral musicians
- Engage with the community, fundraising efforts, and other supportive roles
- High-level conducting ability that provides clear performance direction to the ensemble
- Musical knowledge of the repertoire for programming and rehearsal instruction
- Interpersonal communication skills that foster collaboration with all members
- Long term planning skills to continue to advance the Austin Civic Orchestra
- Able to conduct to the orchestra for the duration of rehearsals and concerts
- Able to attend all rehearsals and concerts in person in the greater Austin area
- Bachelor’s required, Master’s preferred, with extensive experience conducting orchestral repertoire
The ACO encourages all those who may not meet all requirements to apply for consideration.
This is a part-time, independent contractor position paid monthly with an annual contract. The music director participates in regular board meetings, reports to the ACO Board of Directors, and is supervised by the Board President.
Salary Range: $16k – $20k annually, commensurate with experience
Those that are interested in applying for the music director position must submit a resume and contact information for three professional references. Provide a link to a video recording of a recent rehearsal or performance for review. A cover letter explaining interest in this position is strongly encouraged. Please submit all items to email@example.com.
The ACO is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion at all levels of the organization.
All applications must be submitted by March 31, 2023.