- This event has passed.
February 25 | 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Each year the Austin Civic Orchestra travels north to Georgetown to perform in Southwestern University’s Alma Thomas Theater.
J. Michael Cooper and ACO Assistant Conductor, W.P. Sterneman will present a pre-concert conversation entitled Florence Price and Margaret Bonds, Speaking Truth to Power — A Conversation for Today at 6:45 p.m. in the Caldwell-Carvey Foyer.
The concert opens with the Pearl Amster Percussion Chamber Ensemble (directed by Jordan Walsh) performing a selection by Ayanna Woods. Next, Music Director, Lois Ferrari leads the ACO string section in a performance of Florence Price’s Andante Moderato, followed by the second movement of the Lalo Cello Concerto with guest artist Prudence McDaniel. The second half of the concert will feature the Texas premiere of the orchestrated version of Credo by Margaret Bonds, with the Southwestern University Chorale (directed by Holly Dalrymple), soprano Natalie Howard, and baritone Chaz Nailor.
- AYANNA WOODS: Triple Point for Percussion Quartet performed by the Pearl Amster Percussion Ensemble
- FLORENCE PRICE: Andante Moderato for String Orchestra
- ÉDOUARD LALO: Cello Concerto, Intermezzo: Andantino con moto – Allegro presto, Prudence McDaniel, cello
- MARGARET BONDS: Credo with the Southwestern Chorale
Natalie Howard, soprano and Chaz Nailor, baritone
1. I Believe in God
2. Especially Do I Believe in the Negro Race
3. I Believe in Pride of Race
4. I Believe in the Devil and His Angels
5. I Believe in the Prince of Peace
6. I Believe in Liberty
7. I Believe in Patience
The ACO continues to embrace the classics as well as explore the future. In order for classical music to truly realize its potential as a relevant and important art form it must embrace its future as much as its past. With this in mind, the ACO will maintain its commitment to experiment with programming that presents beloved classics alongside new and/or eclectic works, some of which might be considered off-beat, cross-genre, or even radical.
Southwestern University faculty, staff and students receive free admission by showing their university ID at the ticket table.