- This event has passed.
December 12, 2020 | 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Join the Austin Civic Orchestra in its December installment of “The Beat Goes On,” a series of virtual events featuring ACO musicians organized into chamber ensembles — strings, wind and brass quintets, quartets, and duets. For the third concert in the series, the ACO chamber ensembles will present an assortment of classical and contemporary music as well as holiday selections. The concert will be streaming on our YouTube and Facebook pages.
This concert is dedicated to the memory of Mac Payne who was ‘instrumental’ as the founder of the Austin Civic Orchestra and as a board member for decades. He helped to grow our orchestra to the level that we have achieved today. Always a regular in the audience, we’ll miss him, his smile, and his encouragement. Mac Payne was a jewel in the crown of the ACO.
The program includes:
- Four Love Songs by Mathieu Lussier (Bassoon/Guitar Duo)
- Piano Quintet in A major, “Trout,” Andantino – Allegretto and Allegro giusto by Franz Schubert
- Waltz No. 2 by Dmitri Shostakovich, arr. Lavender (String Ensemble)
- String Quartet No. 1, Balance by Anton von Sehrwald
- Suite for Viola and Double Bass by Reinhold Gliere
- Fantasia on Christmas Carols by Ralph Vaughan Williams. arr. Parish (String Ensemble)
- Fum, Fum, Fum a traditional catalan, arr. Shuster (ACO Percussion Quartet)
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane. arr. Kalstad (Bassoon Quartet)
- Jingle Bell Rock by Joe Beal & Jim Boothe, arr. Mauldin (String Ensemble)
- Jingle Bell Salsa arranged by Morris (Wind Quintet)
- March of the Toys from “Babes in Toyland” by Victor Herbert, arr. Strauch (Cello Choir)
- O Come All Ye Faithful arr. Slechta (Wind Quintet)
- O Holy Night (Cantique de Noel) by Adolphe Adam (String Quartet)
- Silent Night by Franz Gruber, arr. Morales (String Ensemble)
- Sleigh Ride by Leroy Anderson, arr. Wagner (Bassoon Quartet)
- The Christmas Song (“Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire”) by Mel Torme & Robert Wells, arr. Strauch and Schweitzer (Trombone Trio and Bassoon Quartet)
- The Christmas Spirit by Marc Papeghin (Brass Ensemble)
- The Nutcracker (short and) Suite by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, arr. Hays (String Quartet)
- We Wish You A Merry Christmas, arr. Matthew Naughton (String Quartet)
- Winter Wonderland by Felix Bernard & Dick Smith, arr. Strauch (Cello Choir)
- Yuletide Fantasy by arr. Carroll (Bassoon Quartet)
Printed concert program is available here.
None of this would be possible without your continued support and donations. If you would like to make a donation, please click here.