March 25 | 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
The ACO returns to Bates Recital Hall at the University of Texas for the sixth annual “Texas Rising Stars” concert. Featured at this FREE event will be the winners from the Butler School of Music String Concerto Competition as well as Jennifer Higdon’s blue cathedral and the chamber version of Aaron Copland’s Appalachian Spring. Come experience the talent of these young artists alongside ACO members who have a lifelong dedication to music, in one of the premiere performance spaces in Austin.
This collaborative concert between the Butler School of Music and Austin Civic Orchestra was conceived by UT Professor Brian Lewis and is funded in part by the David and Mary Winton Green Chair in String Performance and Pedagogy. All are welcome to donate to help support the cost of production.
Get insight into the music at a pre-concert talk from 6:45-7:15 p.m. in room MRH 2.614, located in the same building as the recital hall.
- Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61, Allegro ma non troppo, by Ludwig van Beethoven, featuring Patrice Calixte on violin
- Concierto del sur for Guitar and Orchestra, Allegro moderato, by Manuel Ponce, featuring Henry Johnston on guitar
- Concerto No. 2 in D Major for cello and orchestra, Hob. VIIb/2, Op. 101, Allegro moderato, by Joseph Haydn, featuring Seulki Lee on cello
- Violin Concerto No. 2 in D minor, Op. 22, Allegro moderato, by Henryk Wieniawski, featuring Nicolás Medina Gutiérrez on violin
- blue cathedral by Jennifer Higdon
- Appalachian Spring by Aaron Copland
For parking information, click here.
Family-owned for over 54 years and across three generations, Strait Music is Austin’s only full-line music store — specializing in pianos, guitars, band and orchestra, drums and percussion, pro audio and recording, sheet music, service, rentals, new and pre-owned instruments. A big time store with a small town feel, Strait Music prides themselves as a place “where customers become friends.”